As a parent, you will want to give your baby all the comfort to make it happy. A newborn baby spends most of the time in sleeping, and will require a cosy bed to sleep in. For comfortable sleeping, baby cot is the most vital furniture that is very much safe for use by little babies. Parents could choose this furniture for their new born baby as it will probably be the baby's bed until the time they decide to move their child to a grown up bed. However, it is very essential to make a careful selection of cot in order to get the best value for money.
Below are some of the things to consider when deciding to buy a baby cot:
- Standards approved: Whichever cot you choose it should be certified to abide by all the safety standards. Always, look for a cot which has been certified by an independent authority.
- Well-built and long-lasting: Make sure that the cot is well built and has all the safety measures. It should be deep enough to be safe for the baby. Also, make sure they have well finished structure and are made of quality materials.
- The accurate dimensions: Choose the cot that has the right dimension. Moreover, the spacing between bars should be 5 cm to 9.5 cm to protect the baby’s head getting stuck or falling out.
- The mattress should fit neatly around all sides: The mattress is most important thing to be considered. Make sure that there’s no more than a 40mm gap between the edge of the mattress and the adjacent cot side when the mattress is pushed to the opposite side. Furthermore, a safe mattress is one, which is of the right size for the cot, firm, clean and in a good condition.
- No sharp boundaries or risky bumps: Make sure there are no sharp edges or protruding parts that could cause a cut or head injury. Furthermore, it should not have any footholds that could enable the baby to climb out.
- Check out the finishing: Check whether all the components of the cot are blunt, smooth and gently contoured or not. Also, avoid cots that contain decorative transfers that can come off easily.
Moreover, one can choose different kinds of cots depending upon their own requirements. The cots can be distinguished as:
- Cots: These are the best suitable for newborns to babies around 18 to 24 months. One can find a lot of cots available in various shapes, finishes and designs. Some cots are having curved ends, known as sleigh cots that are best for babies. Moreover, wooden baby sleigh cot will be the best option for parents who are looking for quality at the same time stylish and durable cots.
- Cot beds: Cot beds are mainly suitable for newborn to children around four to seven years. They are generally larger than cots, but are not very expensive. It is basically a cot that comes with removable sides and can be converted into a toddler-sized bed as and when required. They usually last for long as compared to a cot and helps in making the move from a cot to a bed easily.
- Sofa or chairs: These kinds of cots are suitable for newborn to children around four to seven years and could be used as furniture for long time use. This type of cots can easily be converted into bed and further could be converted into a sofa, chairs or day bed.
So, these are some of the important points related to baby cots. Although, cots are available in various beautiful designs, patterns, colours and trims, but what really matters is your baby’s safety. Moreover, making changes in the cot at the right time can surely help in preventing injuries associated with the child falling out of the cot.